Promptly Questioned

Promptly Questioned
300 questions for the fiction writer to answer

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Night Cafe' Digital Art Studio

 


Priestess of Words created on NightCafe'

So, I went and did a thing. This old broad decided to do something "new" and tried my hand at this Digital Art thing. And guess what. I'm addicted...already. It's only been a few days, but I can't stop. It's actually pretty fun.

I checked out a few sites I found through Google, but just wasn't finding anything that struck my fancy. Then, I ran across a site called Night Cafe Studios. Oh, my stars, this place is awesome. I'm still in the learning stages, but I'm having fun checking stuff out.

I had no idea what I was doing but jumped in anyway. After a few trial runs, I sort of started figuring it out. My first attempt wasn't too bad, but it wasn't stellar. I called it Horse Cart. Okay, the truth is that I just typed in the words horse cart and this is what came out.

Horse Cart created on NightCafe'

One thing I do need to say up front is that each digital image requires a certain amount of credits. Users can purchase credit packages--though will have to deal with ads on their pages. However, users can subscribe and get credits every month without ads. There are several different subscription levels, depending on the number of images the user needs to create.

BUT...here's the thing. There is a way to earn credits. Actually, several ways. The cool thing about this site is that they offer a ton of ways to earn credits and network with other artists. Creating an account, tweeting your artwork, following and/or commenting, and publishing images to your profile are just a few of the ways to earn more credits. And the really cool thing is that you get badges each time you cross a milestone. Dude, I love the badges.

NightCafe' holds daily challenges/contests. On day one, artists can submit one creation centered around whatever that day's theme may be. It might be vampires, candles, or 3D images. Once in a while, they have a "no theme" day. Anything goes. 

On the second day, submission voting begins. The voting goes on throughout the day and the artists can see stats on how well their creation is doing. I submitted one of my creations to the 3D Image challenge yesterday and have been watching it off and on all day. As of the time of this writing, my submission has a 2.94 out of 5-star rating. Not bad for my first challenge.


Laughing Pickle Face created on NightCafe'

On the third day, totals are tallied and prizes are handed out. 1st prize is 250 credits, 2nd prize is 150 credits, and 3rd prize is 50 credits. You can also win credits if your creation lands in the top 5%, 10%, or 20% of votes. I still have a couple of hours before I know how well I did. I've already created and submitted my piece for tomorrow's voting. This place could totally get me in trouble.

I want to mention that the beautiful girl at the top of the page is our priestess. While playing around, I simply typed in Priestess of Words and she appeared. I actually got a little giddy. The sad thing is I'm not exactly sure what I did to make her happen. I've started following a few of the more experienced artists and trying to learn their secrets. 

I really am having a blast doing this. I've always wanted to draw and/or paint, but I am NOT an artistic person. However, this is something I can do and, if I can do it, anyone can. If you're on NightCafe', look me up. You can probably teach me a thing or two...or ten.

~~~*~~~*~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment