Promptly Questioned

Promptly Questioned
300 questions for the fiction writer to answer

Thursday, January 12, 2023

Meet My Great, Great, Great, Grandma Gray

 



Meet my great, great, great-grandmother, Rachel Gray, nee DeGroat. Born in Vermont in 1804, passing on in 1875 at the age of 71 in Little Blue, KS. When I look at this photo, my emotions run the gamut between sheer awe and total fear. She is a scary-looking lady.

 My daughter has an Ancestry.com account and has been searching for our family. I say it that way because there is an entire side to my life that has been missing since I was a small child. I have very little information about my biological father's side of the family. Not just because he and my mother divorced when I was four, but because he was adopted. 

Though she wasn't able to find much about my father's side of the family, she found a slew of information about my mother's side. Wholly Buckets!!! She was able to find leads stemming from the late 16th century. That made my history-loving heart so happy. 

What really blew me away about this picture is that I remember visiting my Aunt Donna (mom's older sister) and spending hours staring at a portrait much like this...only it was a man in a Union soldier's uniform. His name was Andrew Gray...Rachel's husband. I'm sure the look on my face when my daughter sent me this picture was priceless.

I've always had a thing for those vintage photographs. This one seems, to me, to be more of a painting, but I don't know that to be a fact. The portrait of her husband in my aunt's house looks almost exactly like this, only not as dark. I find them so haunting.

My daughter is still digging for more information, but she's hitting a brick wall. We know Rachel had only one child. A son born in 1842, though we don't have a name as of yet. And she hasn't been able to find any information on Andrew Gray. I hope at some point, we'll have more of the details. 

How far back can you trace your family roots? Where are your ancestors from? I love this kind of thing. I'm not just someone who loves history, I'm finding out that thanks to my ancestors, I actually have a history. And that makes my day.

~~~*~~~*~~~




No comments:

Post a Comment