Promptly Questioned

Promptly Questioned
300 questions for the fiction writer to answer

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Myth Monsters Podcast

 



I love all things mythological. I've always been fascinated with gods and goddesses and heroes and legends. But it was the creatures that always kept me coming back for more. Winged horses, harpies, the Minotaur, and, of course, mermaids and sirens. I just couldn't get enough.

As I got older, I began to read up on cryptids (though I didn't know that's what they were officially called) such as Mothman, the Yeti and Sasquatch, and the Jersey Devil. Believing that there had to be a grain of truth in some of the stories, I always wanted to know how these stories began. I still do.

I've been listening to a lot of ancient history podcasts lately. I used to watch ancient history documentaries on YouTube, but I think I've pretty much seen them all. In my search, I came across a really cool podcast called Myth Monsters. Yep, I had to go check it out. So glad I did.

Myth Monsters is based out of the UK and is run by a feisty little redhead named Erin. I started listening to her podcast from the beginning and found myself both informed and entertained. She cracked me up. 



The thing I love most about this podcast is that its main focus is just the creatures. Not the heroes, not all the hype that surrounds the creature, just the beasts themselves. And it's very well done. I especially like the segment near the end of each episode where Erin talks about whether she thinks the creature is/was an actual being. And, in a few episodes, she sings. It's awesome.

Myth Monsters look at beasts from all around the world. I have to admit that I knew many of them before the podcast, but Erin's done a few about Japanese creatures that I'd never heard of before. I enjoyed learning about those. Note to self: study more Japanese mythology.

Seriously, if you're looking for a way to learn more about mythic beasts and cryptids, check out Myth Monsters. The podcasts are short and sweet, as well as fun and educational. You can find Myth Monsters on several venues including Apple and Spotify, or follow them through any of their social media sites. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some mythic monsters to go study. 

~~~*~~~*~~~

Images used in this post are the sole property of Myth Monsters Podcast and may not be used without the owner's expressed permission. Images were used in this post with permission. All rights reserved.

~~~*~~~*~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment