Promptly Questioned

Promptly Questioned
300 questions for the fiction writer to answer

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Sunday Free Write 2/19/23

 


I think it's time I did a free write here. I do a lot of free writing when I'm having issues getting inspired. I've had several weeks in a row that were less than fun and found it hard to be creative while in a funk. I'm working hard to get myself back to normal and back to writing on a regular basis.

If you look at the title of this piece, you'll see I'm calling it a SUNDAY free write. The reason for that is that I'm hoping to do this once a week. I know from experience that getting a lot of the junk out of my head helps in getting it all sorted out and into some form of semblance. 

I never know what I'm going to talk about in my free writing. It could be anything from the act of writing itself to a book I read (or tried to read). I might rant about something I read on Twitter or just jabber on and on, kind of like I'm doing now. It's not so much what I'm saying, just that I'm saying something.

When I first learned about free writing, there were rules. You were supposed to write constantly for a set number of minutes. Yea, I threw that rule out the window. I'd rather just write freely about the stuff in my head as it comes along. I feel like that dog in the movie Up. Squirrel!!!

If I do end up doing a free write every Sunday, I may have to come up with a list of topics to cover. Even after doing this for years, I have trouble focusing on a single topic. I'll have to see what I can come up with. Fair warning, I may come up with ideas that are so far off in left field, you'll think I've gone bonkers. It's okay, I have.

One of the things you'll never hear me discuss is politics. Nope, not my field of expertise. Not even something I feel comfortable discussing with friends and family. Some people get squeamish discussing bodily fluids or more intimate topics, but those don't normally bother me. Politics, however, makes my skin crawl.

A few of the things I may end up talking about are anything to do with ancient history, mythologies, unsolved mysteries, ways of releasing our creative sides, and/or reviews of various places and things. Hey, look at that, I already started a nice list. And that's why I free write. 

The best part of free writing is you not only get stuff out of your head, you dig a little deeper inside yourself. You may realize things about yourself you hadn't realized before. It's so good for the soul. 

Well, I think that's it for this week. I will try to do this each week, but I make no promises. As soon as I make a promise, I'll break it. However, I will try.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you find something out there that inspires you. 

Until next time,
Christine

~~~*~~~*~~~

Image created by Christine Graves on NightCafe


No comments:

Post a Comment